Effective email marketing is paramount to reach and engage customers in today’s digital age. One of the highlights aiding this strategy is Email Tagging, also known as Customer Tagging. This comprehensive guide discusses the concept of Email Tagging and its role in enhancing your email marketing efforts and customer segmentation strategy.
What is Email Tagging?
Email Tagging is the process of appending outside data onto your list of email addresses, typically done to a list within an Email Service Provider (ESP) like Klaviyo, MailChimp, or Constant Contact. The additional data complements email-specific KPIs like opens and clicks, allowing savvy email marketers to build next-level segments, churn out more personalized creative, and build better-performing email campaigns.
You may already be using Email Tagging without even realizing. If you use an ESP that integrates with your e-commerce store, that integration is tagging your emails with KPIs like Number of Orders, Last Purchase Date, and specifics around which products were purchased. However, Email Tagging can expand into many different areas, including demographics and buying behavior outside of what you are able to capture on your website alone.
Importance of Email Tagging in Marketing
There are several reasons why email tagging should be an integral part of your digital marketing strategy:
- Improved Segmentation: With tagging, you can divide your subscriber base into smaller segments based on a variety of factors like interests, behavior, or demographics, making your emails more relevant and engaging.
- Personalized Messaging: By tagging subscribers profiles, marketers can send highly personalized messages, increasing engagement, and conversion rates.
- Effective Campaign Analysis: Tag-based tracking can provide significant insights into your target audience and your campaign’s effectiveness, helping you optimize future campaigns. For example, you can see who opened your latest deployment and circle back to tagged date, like age, to see the breakdown of those to engaged with your campaign.
- Enhanced Customer Experience: With more tailored and targeted communications, you improve the overall customer experience, resulting in better relationships and loyalty.
How Does Email Tagging Work?
Email tagging can be done manually or automatically:
- Manual Tagging: Marketers manually create tags (could be called metafields or profile properties in your ESP) based on their interactions and understanding of the customer or prospect. For instance, tagging certain customers as ‘interested in product X’ based on their click-through rate on related content. This can also extend to upload CSVs filled with outside data.
- Third-Party Data Tagging (e.g., LaunchPad Customer Data Tagging): Services like LaunchPad’s Customer Data Tagging provide comprehensive demographic, interest, and purchase behavior data. Marketers can leverage this data to create highly personalized campaigns and boost customer retention. For example, LaunchPad can add Birth Month to 90% of your customers so you don’t have to spend resources trying to collect it. Use this field to send a special birthday discount to customers based on their birth month. Other interest-based or buying behavior fields are also available with LaunchPad. Target those who are likely to buy from certain product categories or have expressed interest in particular hobbies with resonating product options and imagery. You can use this enriched data to drive purchases within existing e-commerce, email, SMS, print on demand, social, digital, and automation platforms.
Implementing Email Tagging in Marketing Strategies
Here’s how you can successfully integrate email tagging into your marketing workflows:
- Define the Right Tags: Before anything else, determining which tags will be useful is key. Examples might include product interest, location, purchase history, or responsiveness to past campaigns. Don’t succumb to “analysis paralysis” and include too much. Start with a few data elements and expand from there.
- Assign Tags to Contacts: Once you’ve defined your tagging system, you’ll need to assign tags to your recipients. This process can be manual, automatic, or a combination of both. It will vary based on your ESP.
- Segment and Target: Use these tags to segment your email list and create targeted campaigns for each group.
- Track and Adjust: Analyze how your tagged segments respond to your campaigns. It’s essential to constantly monitor and adjust your tagging strategy based on these insights.
Email Tagging in Different Marketing Systems
Many popular email marketing platforms have tag systems built in:
- Klaviyo: Klaviyo allows marketers to import data in Custom Profile Properties that can be used in segments and automations.
- MailChimp: MailChimp allows for two types of tagging, Tags and Custom fields.
- ActiveCampaign: ActiveCampaign also uses the Custom Fields terminology.
- Constant Contact: Constant Contact refers to these fields as Custom Contact Fields.
With the right tools, email tagging becomes an effortless task that can help your email marketing reach new heights.
Utilizing LaunchPad Customer Data Tagging for Enhanced Tagging and Segmentation
LaunchPad’s Customer Data Tagging can significantly enrich your customer data, leading to more refined segmentation and improved tag utilization. Leveraging our database of 1,000+ fields over 250 million US consumers, LaunchPad tags your email list according to a data package you select or a custom package you create.
You can use this sophisticated information to understand your customers better, tailoring campaigns according to diverse parameters such as demographics, shopping behavior, and specific interests. This empowers you to create highly personalized campaigns. Furthermore, LaunchPad’s data is compatible across various platforms your marketing team is familiar with, from e-commerce, email, SMS, to other automation platforms, ensuring seamless integration without requiring any complex migrations.
With features like tailored customer tag bundles for easy integrations and the ability to import & export anywhere, LaunchPad opens a new world in audience segmentation, bringing in enhanced relevance to your marketing strategies. Visit LaunchPadASAP.com to learn more about how it can transform your email tagging approach.
Email tagging, while simple at its core, is a powerful tool that plays a pivotal role in the successful execution of your email marketing campaigns. Understanding its importance and use cases can significantly improve your customer segmentation and deliver more personalized and effective communications.
Adopt email tagging today and unleash the potential of your email marketing strategy!